Friday, February 1, 2013

how to eat 9384 calories in one day

(I'm cheating for day 4 of my weekly posting challenge.  My kids aren't here this weekend so what could I possibly take pictures of??  Jim napping tonight at 6pm?? Or maybe of all the housework I didn't do today, haha.  No wait, I've got it.... I could take a picture of the asshole stinkbug that was crawling on my eyelid at 2am last night.  Did you read that??  I woke up at 2am, felt something on my eyelash, yanked it off, threw it to the ground, only to realize it was in fact a stinkbug.  On my eyelid.  While I slept.  3 inches from my wide open mouth.  Try not to vomit from that thought.)

Anywho,  3 weekends ago my really awesome inlaws had my kids for the weekend again and it was the perfect time for Jim and I to take a day trip to NYC.  It was the first time we have been back since we moved away last March and we were so excited to go.  We had big plans and they involved eating as much as humanly possible.  We were up super early and driving into Hoboken by about 10am.  We stopped for bagels at our favorite bagel and drove around looking for a parking spot.  We ended up parking out front of our old apartment, crazy huh??  We walked into Hoboken to get on the PATH to head to NYC.

Our first stop was Peanut Butter and Co.  It wasn't our absolute favorite place to eat but it was near one of our favorite places(Washington Square Park) so it made sense to go.  We shared a cinnamon raisin swirl sandwich and it did not dissapoint.  We sat in the park as long as our frozen heineys could handle sitting on the cold bench.

After that we took the subway up to Columbus Circle and started the walk down Broadway.  Jim had lots of places he wanted to see, even though we had seen them all in the year we lived there, and I was a good sport and just went along with it.  It wasn't too cold that day but it was wet and gross.  Jim wanted to walk by David Letterman and then to Rockafeller Center.  After seeing those places he wanted to walk to the library to see the lions and Bryant park.  We then walked back to Times Square (our least favorite place on earth) to get Junior's cheesecake.

From there we got on the subway and headed to Jim's favorite place to eat... The Mile End deli.  He got his normal brisket sandwich and fry concoction(smoked meat poutine).  A few blocks away was Rice to Riches and you better believe we each got a huge tub of our favorite- Cheesecake and Sex, Drugs, and Rocky Road.  We ended up walking back to Washington Square park to catch the PATH back to Hoboken at this point.  We wanted to walk on the High Line but the weather was pretty crappy and we were cold.  At this point Jim had made a few wrong turns and we had walked about 34 miles too many.

Once we were back in Hoboken it was my turn for a favorite and The Taco Truck was just as awesomely delicious as I remember.  They even changed the menu to make it so you could get 3 tacos instead of having to order 2 sets of 2 which was always a bit too much.  On the walk back to the car Jim had to get one last slice of pizza from Basile's because they at least sell by the slice unlike Grimaldis who only sells full pies.

By now we were both wishing we had worn sweatpants to make up for the amount of food we had eaten that day.  We were home and holding the couch down by 7pm and also enjoying cheesecake and rice pudding.  It was a fantastic day and we can't wait to do it again.


And now.... the pictures from the day....
Untitled

We also bought extra bagels to bring home and enjoy the next day.  Best everything bagels ever.
Untitled

Home.Sweet.Home..... haha not so much. 
Untitled

Time for my favorite. The Taco Truck. Just as good as I remember it.Untitled

UntitledUntitled

Here we are in Times Square at a huge jumbotron thing where you could stand in a certain spot and be on the tv.  Do you see us on the right??  I had fun being total touristy dorks.
Untitled

I really want to try to recreate this sandwich and really feel like it can't be that hard, right?
Untitled

Untitled

UntitledUntitled


And now... I'm starving.  What I wouldn't give for some of that Taco Truck guac and chips right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment