Step one: My jeans had a flare to them so I measured them and marked them to make them into a straight leg from the knee down. I drew a line with a marker and sewed them along that line. I then cut off that extra material because it would make it too bulky in the next step. Also, my jeans had a decorative seam on one side and a plain seam on the other seam so I sewed on the boring seam side.

Step two: With the jeans right-side out bring your jeans up into a cuff and determine how long you want them. I used a super scientific method and put another pair of capris on and marked my leg with eyeliner to see how short I wanted them.

Step three: Sew just along the edge of the original hem making sure to start on the side seam that is decorative to make sure it lines up so it doesn't look weird. See... I use very serious and scientific terms which is why I don't put sewing tutorials up on my blog.

Next, flip the original hem down and tuck all that excess back up inside the leg of the jeans. Steam and press the hell out of the jeans.

I chose to cut out of that extra material from hemming them so they wouldn't be too bulky around my monster calves, I don't need anymore bulk there.

Finally... ask your 3 year old to take a picture of your newly constructed capris. They aren't perfect, but they are free. And try not to be too jealous of my uggs and sock marks. Luckily these weren't taken with a real camera and you can't really see too much to be embarrassed about.

So, did that make any sense whatsoever?

I'm trying this today! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, I hope it works out for you!!
Delete