Tuesday, June 9, 2015

i got my eyeballs cut

That's what Harper would tell people in the last month or so when my LASIK surgery was coming up.  Hahaha.

I guess I should back up in time a bit.  I never ever even considered or thought of Lasik until this past September when we were away in Puerto Rico.  We were doing all these outdoorsy active things and the wife of another agent was raving about how happy she was to have just had Lasik.  I thought it sounded like a great idea but I would never actually do it and surely it must cost a million dollars.

Fast forward to a month or so ago.  I was in the weight room at the Y and went to adjust my glasses on the bridge of my nose (as they were slipping from the sweat which CONSTANTLY happened) but forgot I had a 15lb. dumbbell in my hand and almost punched myself in the face with it.  At that moment I decided that if we could afford it I was doing it.

I went to a consultation that next day to a place recommended by my insurance company, Lasik Plus. I really didn't know what to expect but was kinda weirded out by the whole thing.  First of all, its like a used car dealership.  They tested my eyes and all and then come back to me with a huge range in price.  And I was to decide which level I wanted to pay for.  Wait, what?  Aren't you the doctor, just tell me what to do.  That's basically what I said when I called back a few days later to schedule my surgery.  There were 4 levels which each offered a bigger and better warranty.  I went with the 3rd level which offers a 2 year warranty, meaning if I need a touch up in the next 2 years I can go for free.

So the day of my surgery comes and I am so ready for it to just be over.  I show up at 9:30 and proceed to wait around until noon for my actual surgery.  It was less than 10 minutes long in the OR and immediately after the laser cuts open your eyeball they sit you up and have you walk right out alone.  I walked out to the car where Jim and Emerson were waiting for me.

As for the actual surgery itself it was the strangest most bizarre experience ever.  You are awake and your eyes are strapped open but you can't feel anything.  You can actually see the layers being zapped off of your eyeball.  Did you know that's what the actual surgery is??  They are changing the shape of your eyeball by lasering off layer after layer.  So freaking weird.

I left the surgery center and after stopping for milkshakes (delicious from Shake Shack but NOT a good idea) we went right home for me to sleep.  They recommend sleeping for a few hours to avoid being awake for the worst parts of the recovery.  Except we got home only to find that the stump grinder was at our house finally grinding the tree stumps in the yard.  That thing went on for HOURS making it impossible for me to sleep.  And the Lasik center only gives you a Tylenol PM, seriously?!?  My eyes were burning, tearing, and soooo light sensitive.  I ended up dosing on and off in the basement.  Finally at about 6pm I was able to get up and walk around a bit, without glasses!!!

For the first few days my eyes were really dry and it felt like there was an eyelash in my eye but otherwise I could see.  I had a follow up appointment were they found I had 20/20 vision.  I had to wear my super cute googles (total sarcasm) for the first 3 days and then to bed each night for at least a week.  I actually can't seem to quit the goggles even after almost 2 weeks, I just feel safer that way.  I am so happy I did this and can't wait for my eyes to completely heal up.  They said it could be 3 months until I am feeling 100%.

The worst part of this whole thing was the 1 week no-no list which included 2 of my favorite things: sweating and makeup.  For one week I wasn't allowed to sweat which meant no working out and no makeup.  It was painful, but I survived.

I figured I would write this all up in case anyone else was considering it.  I'm so glad I did it!!

Big Baby got sick of waiting for me and passed out like this in the car.
Untitled

I was so light sensitive that I stole her blanket to wrap around my face.  This shake was so good but holy cow I should have just run right home to lay down.
Untitled

Those super sweet goggles.  Let me know if you would like to borrow them.
Untitled

From my 1 week follow up.  I gave Harper my phone so she could entertain herself and the baby by taking selfies.
Untitled

Untitled

I had no idea she was taking my picture.  There were like 20 blurry ones similar to this one.  Haha.
Untitled

No seriously, coolest goggles ever.  Nope.
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment