Tuesday, March 5, 2013

updates- potty and bedrooms

OK, its update time.  First up the easy update...  the bedroom.  The construction was done last Monday and it left us with brand new drywall and a ton of painting.  We had planned to start the painting on Thursday afternoon when Jim was free and about 45 minutes into painting we threw in the towel and called up a painter.  Yeah, we suck at painting and its worth every penny to hire that out.  They are almost finished with the painting and get so much done in such a short amount of time.  The ceiling needed to be primed and painted, the closet needed primed and two coats of color, the bedroom walls needed half primed and then the whole thing painted twice.  Then the trim all needed to be caulked and painted twice including a new door, two other doors, and a double set of windows.  Even listing it all out sounds like more work than I am interested in.

I used the same Putnam Ivory on the walls as before just to keep it neutral for them sharing a room.  I let them pick out the closet color and they settled on Bluebird by Martha.  We went to HD and they both picked out a few colors they liked.  Then I helped them narrow down the colors (read: got rid of colors like Chianti-too dark and Olive Something-way too bright).  He was stuck with a bright blue called Pool Party, which he said he liked because he likes to swim in pools and also loves parties, and this Bluebird color.  Its a pretty color that's not offensive and isn't orange.

The floors are going to be refinished starting this weekend.  To keep the floors unified we are having the entire 2nd floor refinished.  So if you are looking for us on Friday we are trying to find a home for the 84 tons of crap from the 2nd floor somewhere on the first floor that won't be covered in dust from the sanding.  Should be a great time!!

Then all we have to do is get Harper a bed (she has been trying to climb out of the crib, yikes!!) and then install some type of cheapo carpet in the new giant closet and then it will be a wrap.

These pictures are hard to take because no camera will really get the whole room in the frame, this is about half of the room... the new half.  
13-3-5-bedroomupdate.jpg

here is a during shot...
13-2-21-newbedroomday2-2.jpg

and here is a before shot...
13-2-20-newroomday1.jpg

And the closet, which is even more difficult to get a picture of.  And since I am using my pocket camera the colors are kind of off but you get the idea.  This closet is something like 7 X 13 which is enormous. A during and an after picture...
13-3-5-bedroomupdate-3.jpg13-2-21-newbedroomday2-3.jpg

And then there was this random picture on the pocket camera so of course I had to include it.  I don't even remember taking it.
13-3-5-bedroomupdate-2.jpg

And now for the potty update.  (I am writing this for the next time I have to potty train so I can remember how it went since I didn't really write out how Brady did and I sure wish I did.)  Its funny that as I am writing this post I had to stop 4 times to take her to the potty to fart.  Yes, she isn't sure what feeling is what and "needs" to go potty to fart.

She is doing really well for the most part.  After less than a week we were able to start leaving the house in just undies and she does AWESOME holding it in and letting us know if she has to go.  I try to plan where I am going and when we will be near a bathroom. For example, I won't ask her if she has to go potty while I am driving but as soon as we walk into Target I will ask since the bathrooms are right at the entrance.  Going to Home Depot??  I ask before we leave the car since I have a frog potty in the back and the bathroom in Home Depot is in the far back of the store.  She does great with letting us know she has to go and already got to experience the bathrooms in more stores than I care to think about including Reading Terminal Market- super disgusting.  She told Jim she had to go in Home Depot and they were able to make it all the way across the store to go.

Yet it seems like our issues are at home.  She drinks a TON, like 6-8 sippies a day, and still doesn't really empty her bladder completely.  So that means we need to make a trip to the bathroom every 10 minutes it seems.  And the toilet on the main living area is one of those high up comfort height toilets and she can't really get up on her own quickly enough and needs us to do most of the work.  I don't know if she gets too distracted at home and waits too long because then she pees on the floor next to the toilet because we were 2 seconds too late getting to her.  This isn't every time, maybe once a day, but still super frustrating and annoying.  He trained using the frog potty and she doesn't really want anything to do with it which sucks because she can totally use that thing on her own.  Instead we are stuck dropping everything and running to the bathroom with her 20 times a day.  I guess I am just ready for her to be independent with the whole thing but I guess I am glad she has done so well so far.

She wears a diaper to nap and bed because she is still in a crib but has woken up dry from her nap all days but one and calls for Jim to use the bathroom some mornings.  Yet another reason she needs a big girl bed.

The only other issue is the poop/farts thing.  I mentioned earlier that she doesn't know poop from farts and will sometimes need to sit on the potty 7 times farting before she will actually poop.  She can't stand being asked if she has to use the bathroom and she really can't stand to spend one extra second on the toilet. 

Now as a funny side story she has like 9 pairs of girly undies which now that we aren't going through too many pairs a day is enough to get us from laundry day to laundry day.  But I found the bag of boy undies from when Brady was smaller and washed them up.  She has free reign to pick whatever undies she wants and all but once she has chosen boy undies.  "Look I have Nemo undies!!"  "Look at Mater on my butt!!"  And why don't they make unisex undies for toddlers??  Brady would have loved Dora undies at age 2 and 3 just like she would love Buzz undies.  And seriously??  Are there any toddler boys who actually use that little front flap for anything related to peeing or is it just something they use as a pocket or play thing??

Mater undies were her choice. And yes they include a front pocket. Why don't they sell unisex undies for toddlers??

Boots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment