Monday, July 16, 2012

Embroidered family picture

I have seen this idea a few different ways online and wanted to make one.

Here's how I made it...
-I had Brady draw a picture of our family, actually he drew 4 different family pictures and I took the one that looked most like people (he was being silly for part of it making it so we had donuts for hands and feet).
-I then traced his picture with a black sharpie.
-I taped the picture to the window and then put my white material on top and traced with a pencil onto the material (which is like a men's oxford shirt material from Joanns).
-Then I spent the next 5 days embroidering it here and there when I had a few minutes to kill.
-I spray painted the mat of the frame to brighten it up and its now hanging in our bedroom.

I absolutely LOVE it!!  And he was so proud of his artwork now hanging up in the house.  Its hanging in the hallway leading to our closet/bathroom which made it so hard to take pictures of, but you get the idea.  He chose the colors for each person from my stash of embroidery floss.  From left to right is Jim, Lauren, Brady, and Harper.  He also drew the dogs but I wasn't able to fit them in the frame.  I used a frame I had for over a year in the box still, material I had, embroidery floss I had, and the blue spray paint from when I made the chalkboard which mean this project cost me NOTHING!!

12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-7.jpg

12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-8.jpg

I love how Jim doesn't have a body, just a head and legs.  I love how my arms come from my head, haha.  Another version he draw he drew him holding hands with Harper, it was so sweet but we looked like giant donut people.  I copied his pictures exactly except he had drawn his mouth as a circle that went around his whole head, so I just didn't trace the whole thing.
12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-9.jpg

12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-10.jpg

12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-11.jpg

Here he is the other day drawing his family pictures.  This was right after lunch which is why his face is covered in fluff and he is wearing candy necklace.
12-7-13-familydrawingcraft-8.jpg

12-7-13-familydrawingcraft-11.jpg

12-7-13-familydrawingcraft-5.jpg

12-7-13-familydrawingcraft-9.jpg

12-7-13-familydrawingcraft-10.jpg

Here is his drawing after I traced it with a Sharpie.
12-7-16-finishedfamilydrawing-2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment